The man who could do it all!
Ian Terence Botham, arguably England's most
famous cricketer and one of the great all-rounders the game has seen, was born
on 24 November 1955 in Heswall, Cheshire. While a controversial player both on
and off the field at times, Botham also held a number of Test cricket records,
and still holds the record for the highest number of wickets taken by an
England bowler (383).
He has 14 Test centuries to his name; and also took
145 wickets and scored 2113 runs in ODIs.
In March 1980, Botham played for
Scunthorpe United, where he played as a centre half and made 11 appearances in
the Football League.
Botham was part of the trio of Sir Viv Richards and Joel
Garner, who were central to Somerset's golden age in the early 1980s. Botham,
who is now a TV commentator with Sky, was knighted in 2007.
One of the main
highlights of his Test career was the 1981 Ashes Tour, which was known as
Botham's Ashes for his stellar show.
He is also a conscientious fundraiser for
charitable causes, undertaking long-distance charity walks and doing untold
work for leukemia research.
- NZ won by 8 wkts.vs. WINZ3rd TestWed, Dec 18, 2013Hamilton, New ZealandWest Indies in New Zealand...
- SL won by 2 wkts.vs. SLPAK2nd ODIFri, Dec 20, 2013Dubai, United Arab EmiratesPakistan vs Sri Lanka ODI ...
- PAK won by 11 runsvs. SLPAK1st ODIWed, Dec 18, 2013Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesPakistan vs Sri Lanka ODI ...
- vs. SLPAK4th ODIWed, Dec 25, 2013Wed, Dec 25, 2013Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesPakistan vs Sri Lanka ODI ...
- vs. ENGAUS4th TestWed, Dec 25, 2013Wed, Dec 25, 2013Melbourne, AustraliaThe Ashes 2013-14...
- vs. WINZ1st ODIThu, Dec 26, 2013Thu, Dec 26, 2013Auckland, New ZealandWest Indies in New Zealand...
Latest Photo Albums
Action images from the third Test between New Zealand and the West Indies at Seddon Park in Hamilton, December 19-22, 2013.
New Zealand cruised to an eight-wicket win over … More » 3rd Test: New Zealand vs West Indies
All the best quotes from the month of December in this collection. More » Soundbyte — December 2013
Shivnarine Chanderpaul moved into sixth place on the all-time run-scoring list. Recently-retired Sachin Tendulkar heads the list with Brian Lara on fifth. (CYCSPL)
Also See: WI vs NZ Scores … More » Chanderpaul passes Border
Former Australia captain Ricky Ponting was born on December 19, 1974 at Launceston, Tasmania. Ponting, arguably, Australia's greatest batsman after Sir Don Bradman, made 40,130 runs and scored 71 centuries in his 17-year international career.
Australia lost the Ashes thrice under his charge, … More » The Punter Rolls In
Quinton de Kock's third consecutive ton; Gilchrist and Waqar in Hall of Fame; Aussies' demolition job; Black Caps win a Test; Cairns vs Doull and more. More » Cricket Photos of The Week 15.12.13
Great sporting comebacks of 2013. (Reuters) More » Sporting comebacks of 2013
Following is a list of 10 memorable sporting quotes in 2013. (Reuters) More » 'My life's been 22 yards for 24 years'