The $20 million flop show
The feature match of the Stanford Super Series - worth $20 million - matched England against an all-star team from the Caribbean, called the Stanford Superstars - on 1 November 2008. The Chris Gayle-led Stanford Superstars thumped Kevin Pietersen's England by 10 wickets in a lopsided 20/20 For 20 match; chasing down the paltry target of 100 in 12.4 overs at Antigua's Stanford Cricket Ground. Texan billionaire Allen Stanford signed a five-year deal with the ECB in June 2008 to host a series of $20 million, winner-take-all matches, worth $100 million in total. The deal also included an annual Twenty20 quadrangular involving England (as hosts), West Indies and two invitational teams with a prize of $9.5 million. The ECB though terminated all contracts with Stanford in February 2009 after he was charged with fraud by the Securities and Exchange Commission in the USA. Stanford was later convicted of 13 of 14 charges laid against him by US authorities and was sentenced to 110 years in prison.
- vs. ENGWI1st T20ISun, Mar 09, 2014Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
- vs. AUSSA1st T20IMatch abandonedSun, Mar 09, 2014Port Elizabeth, South AfricaAustralia in South Africa ...
- SL won by 5 wkts.vs. PAKSLFinalSat, Mar 08, 2014Mirpur, BangladeshAsia Cup, 2014...
- No live matches are in progress.
- vs. ENGWI2nd T20ITue, Mar 11, 2014Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
- vs. AUSSA2nd T20IWed, Mar 12, 2014Wed, Mar 12, 2014Durban, South AfricaAustralia in South Africa ...
- vs. ENGWI3rd T20IThu, Mar 13, 2014Thu, Mar 13, 2014Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
Latest Photo Albums
MNS chief Raj Thackeray hosted master blaster Sachin Tendulkar and singer Lata Mangeshkar at his residence on Sunday. More » Spotted: Sachin Tendulkar with Lata Mangeshkar
Smith's retirement, Asia Cup wrap-up, pink balls, and more. More » Cricket Photos Of The Week 9.3.14
Action images from the third and final One-Day International of the series at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua on March 5, 2014. A stroke-filled maiden century by Denesh Ramdin … More » West Indies vs England, 3rd ODI
All the noteworthy cricket quotes this month. More » Soundbyte — March 2014
The South African captain will retire from international cricket following the conclusion of the third Test against Australia on March 5, 2014. Smith captained South Africa in 108 Test matches, including the present match, over 11 years. Factbox on the superb leader who saw off three England captains … More » Graeme Smith calls time on international career
We're back with Episode 7 of your wonderful street photography.
If you are a photographer, here's how you can participate. [Archive: Episodes … More » Street Cricket Photography Challenge - 7