Ranjitsinhji: The Midsummer Night's Dream of Cricket
Ranjitsinhji (also known as Kumar Shri Ranjitsinhji, K.S. Ranjitsinhji, Ranji or Smith), was born on September 10, 1872 at Sarodar, Kathiawar.
He played 15 Test matches for England and scored 989 runs with a highest score of 175 at an average of 44.95. Ranjitsinhji also played first-class cricket for Cambridge University and county cricket for Sussex. In 307 first-class matches, he scored 24692 runs, including 72 centuries and 109 half-centuries, at an average of 56.37.
Ranji is widely regarded as one of the greatest batsmen of all time; and Neville Cardus described him as "the Midsummer night's dream of cricket". Unorthodox in technique and with fast reactions, he brought a new style to batting and revolutionised the game.
He is particularly associated with the leg glance - a shot that he invented and popularised.
India's first-class tournament, the Ranji Trophy, was named in his honour and inaugurated in 1935 by the Maharaja Bhupinder Singh of Patiala.
Away from cricket, Ranji became Maharaja Jam Sahib of Nawanagar in 1907; was Chancellor of the Indian Chamber of Princes; and represented India at the League of Nations.
Ranjitsinhji died of heart failure on April 2, 1933 after a short illness.
- WI won by 27 runsvs. ENGWI1st T20ISun, Mar 09, 2014Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
- vs. AUSSA1st T20IMatch abandonedSun, Mar 09, 2014Port Elizabeth, South AfricaAustralia in South Africa ...
- SL won by 5 wkts.vs. PAKSLFinalSat, Mar 08, 2014Mirpur, BangladeshAsia Cup, 2014...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. ENGWI2nd T20ITue, Mar 11, 2014Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
- Upcoming matchvs. AUSSA2nd T20IWed, Mar 12, 2014Durban, South AfricaAustralia in South Africa ...
- vs. ENGWI3rd T20IThu, Mar 13, 2014Thu, Mar 13, 2014Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
Latest Photo Albums
All the noteworthy cricket quotes this month. More » Soundbyte — March 2014
MNS chief Raj Thackeray hosted master blaster Sachin Tendulkar and singer Lata Mangeshkar at his residence on Sunday. More » Spotted: Sachin Tendulkar with Lata Mangeshkar
Smith's retirement, Asia Cup wrap-up, pink balls, and more. More » Cricket Photos Of The Week 9.3.14
Action images from the third and final One-Day International of the series at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua on March 5, 2014. A stroke-filled maiden century by Denesh Ramdin … More » West Indies vs England, 3rd ODI
The South African captain will retire from international cricket following the conclusion of the third Test against Australia on March 5, 2014. Smith captained South Africa in 108 Test matches, including the present match, over 11 years. Factbox on the superb leader who saw off three England captains … More » Graeme Smith calls time on international career
We're back with Episode 7 of your wonderful street photography.
If you are a photographer, here's how you can participate. [Archive: Episodes … More » Street Cricket Photography Challenge - 7