On the Nandi Trail
Nandi, the sacred bull and the mount of Lord Shiva, is a familiar sight at any temple dedicated to Shiva. According to Hindu mythology, Nandi is the gate-keeper of Shiva and his most loyal attendant. It is believed that all your wishes come true if you whisper to Nandi before visiting his master. Pilgrims can be found circumambulating the statue and touching it. Women, especially, are said to benefit from touching Nandi as the bull is a symbol of fertility. Not surprisingly, bulls and cows find sanctuary at Shiva temples everywhere in India.
The following photo-series by VIKRAM RAMACHANDRAN represent some of the greatest monolithic Nandi sculptures in India, from the largest Nandi at Lepakshi, Andhra Pradesh, to the Nandi bulls at Brihadeesvara Temple, Thanjavur and Halebeedu, Karnataka. While admiring the Nandis, look around the temples where they are situated.
View more of Vikram Ramachandran's photographs on Flickr
- WI won by 5 wkts.vs. ENGWI2nd T20ITue, Mar 11, 2014Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
- WI won by 27 runsvs. ENGWI1st T20ISun, Mar 09, 2014Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
- vs. AUSSA1st T20IMatch abandonedSun, Mar 09, 2014Port Elizabeth, South AfricaAustralia in South Africa ...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. AUSSA2nd T20IWed, Mar 12, 2014Durban, South AfricaAustralia in South Africa ...
- Upcoming matchvs. ENGWI3rd T20IThu, Mar 13, 2014Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
- vs. AUSSA3rd T20IFri, Mar 14, 2014Fri, Mar 14, 2014Centurion, South AfricaAustralia in South Africa ...
Latest Photo Albums
All the noteworthy cricket quotes this month. More » Soundbyte — March 2014
MNS chief Raj Thackeray hosted master blaster Sachin Tendulkar and singer Lata Mangeshkar at his residence on Sunday. More » Spotted: Sachin Tendulkar with Lata Mangeshkar
Smith's retirement, Asia Cup wrap-up, pink balls, and more. More » Cricket Photos Of The Week 9.3.14
Action images from the third and final One-Day International of the series at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua on March 5, 2014. A stroke-filled maiden century by Denesh Ramdin … More » West Indies vs England, 3rd ODI
The South African captain will retire from international cricket following the conclusion of the third Test against Australia on March 5, 2014. Smith captained South Africa in 108 Test matches, including the present match, over 11 years. Factbox on the superb leader who saw off three England captains … More » Graeme Smith calls time on international career
We're back with Episode 7 of your wonderful street photography.
If you are a photographer, here's how you can participate. [Archive: Episodes … More » Street Cricket Photography Challenge - 7