On Imran Khan's Trail
Imran Khan's extraordinary cricketing
career ended with victory in the 1992 World Cup. He then built a career in
philanthropy and politics, founding his own party, Pakistan Tahreek-e-Insaf
(PTI), in 1996. Imran is a charismatic, Oxford-educated youth icon, but his
popularity translated into little or no success early in his political career. Slowly
and steadily, Imran has built himself up on claims of creating a “Naya Pakistan”.
Imran’s fight has been against Pakistan’s corrupt ruling class which has
subverted democratic processes in the country. The 2013 general elections saw an
improved performance from PTI: they won 34 seats to the 126 won by the Nawaz
Sharif-led Pakistan Muslim League. While Sharif would be PM, Imran will lead
the opposition – a big improvement from the time he wielded no political
clout in the country. [TAG:CYCSPL]
See More in Yahoo Cricket Widescreen
- Match drawnvs. WINZ1st TestMon, Dec 02, 2013Dunedin, New ZealandWest Indies in New Zealand...
- SA won by 141 runsvs. INDSA1st ODIThu, Dec 05, 2013Johannesburg, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- IRE won by 68 runsvs. IREAFGFinalSat, Nov 30, 2013Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesICC World Twenty20 Qualifi...
- vs. ENGAUS2nd TestLIVEENG 172/10; AUS 570/9(D);Adelaide, AustraliaThe Ashes 2013-14...
- vs. INDSA2nd ODISun, Dec 08, 2013Durban, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- Upcoming matchvs. PAKAFGOne-off T20ISun, Dec 08, 2013Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesAfghanistan vs Pakistan T2...
- vs. WINZ2nd TestTue, Dec 10, 2013Tue, Dec 10, 2013Wellington, New ZealandWest Indies in New Zealand...