No Madrasis here, only South Indian pride
Dakshina Chitra. The name paints a portrait of the south. Here, south of Chennai along the East Coast Road, awaits a tableau of art and culture, of structures and installations, of sounds, colours and voices, all speaking of the great heritage -- living and preserved -- of the four south Indian states. Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala and Andhra Pradesh come vibrantly alive here in an experience that inspires immersion. It's a giant fairground, thumping with myriad drumbeats, redolent of familiar yet unique tastes and aromas, thrumming with multilingual conversations, and built over with relocated and reconstructed ancestral homes that offer extraordinary opportunities for exploration. Marketplaces are abuzz with craftspersons lovingly explaining their art to those inclined to listen. Throngs of schoolchildren overrun the grounds, their happy insouciance underscoring the purpose for which Dakshina Chitra was established. And for those who generalize India's kaleidoscopic south with that abhorrent pejorative - Madrasi - this treasure, Dakshina Chitra, is a must-visit. For an education or, perhaps, a dose of perspective. Or, at the very least, to set the record straight.
Explore Dakshina Chitra with AZHAR MOHAMED ALI and BIJOY VENUGOPAL
Missed the live action of The Great East Coast Road Drive? Enjoy the archived recording and the extras here.
- WI won by 27 runsvs. ENGWI1st T20ISun, Mar 09, 2014Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
- vs. AUSSA1st T20IMatch abandonedSun, Mar 09, 2014Port Elizabeth, South AfricaAustralia in South Africa ...
- SL won by 5 wkts.vs. PAKSLFinalSat, Mar 08, 2014Mirpur, BangladeshAsia Cup, 2014...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. ENGWI2nd T20ITue, Mar 11, 2014Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
- vs. AUSSA2nd T20IWed, Mar 12, 2014Wed, Mar 12, 2014Durban, South AfricaAustralia in South Africa ...
- vs. ENGWI3rd T20IThu, Mar 13, 2014Thu, Mar 13, 2014Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
Latest Photo Albums
Smith's retirement, Asia Cup wrap-up, pink balls, and more. More » Cricket Photos Of The Week 9.3.14
Action images from the third and final One-Day International of the series at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua on March 5, 2014. A stroke-filled maiden century by Denesh Ramdin … More » West Indies vs England, 3rd ODI
All the noteworthy cricket quotes this month. More » Soundbyte — March 2014
The South African captain will retire from international cricket following the conclusion of the third Test against Australia on March 5, 2014. Smith captained South Africa in 108 Test matches, including the present match, over 11 years. Factbox on the superb leader who saw off three England captains … More » Graeme Smith calls time on international career
We're back with Episode 7 of your wonderful street photography.
If you are a photographer, here's how you can participate. [Archive: Episodes … More » Street Cricket Photography Challenge - 7