Nelson Mandela’s life in places
“There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.”
Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela, the world’s most triumphant opponent of apartheid and South Africa’s most celebrated President, died December 5, 2013. He celebrated his 95th birthday on July 18 amid struggles with health and a long hospitalization.
This nation – Mandela’s South Africa – is one he tore free from slavery, from racial prejudice and the grip of draconian laws in flagrant violation of human rights and liberties.
On his long walk to freedom, Nelson Mandela tramped the dust of several places in South Africa, places that may appear unchanged to the unobservant eye. Yet, freedom has altered these places in ways unimaginable. Here, black people and white now share near-equitable rights, a reality fervently and violently dreamed of but unrealizable during Mandela’s childhood and youth. Mandela, as the world now knows, has been the catalyst of that change.
Explore these places. From Mvezo, where he was born, to Qunu, where he attended primary school, and to Robben Island and Paarl where he was imprisoned for nearly two decades, we trace Mandela’s journey through the places that shaped his vision, and whose place on the map he changed, perhaps forever.
Mandela - An Ordinary Indian Remembers
- WI won by 27 runsvs. ENGWI1st T20ISun, Mar 09, 2014Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
- vs. AUSSA1st T20IMatch abandonedSun, Mar 09, 2014Port Elizabeth, South AfricaAustralia in South Africa ...
- SL won by 5 wkts.vs. PAKSLFinalSat, Mar 08, 2014Mirpur, BangladeshAsia Cup, 2014...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. ENGWI2nd T20ITue, Mar 11, 2014Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
- Upcoming matchvs. AUSSA2nd T20IWed, Mar 12, 2014Durban, South AfricaAustralia in South Africa ...
- vs. ENGWI3rd T20IThu, Mar 13, 2014Thu, Mar 13, 2014Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
Latest Photo Albums
All the noteworthy cricket quotes this month. More » Soundbyte — March 2014
MNS chief Raj Thackeray hosted master blaster Sachin Tendulkar and singer Lata Mangeshkar at his residence on Sunday. More » Spotted: Sachin Tendulkar with Lata Mangeshkar
Smith's retirement, Asia Cup wrap-up, pink balls, and more. More » Cricket Photos Of The Week 9.3.14
Action images from the third and final One-Day International of the series at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua on March 5, 2014. A stroke-filled maiden century by Denesh Ramdin … More » West Indies vs England, 3rd ODI
The South African captain will retire from international cricket following the conclusion of the third Test against Australia on March 5, 2014. Smith captained South Africa in 108 Test matches, including the present match, over 11 years. Factbox on the superb leader who saw off three England captains … More » Graeme Smith calls time on international career
We're back with Episode 7 of your wonderful street photography.
If you are a photographer, here's how you can participate. [Archive: Episodes … More » Street Cricket Photography Challenge - 7