John Buchanan: The 'Ned Flanders' of Cricket
John Buchanan, the former Australia men's national cricket team coach, was born on 5 April 1953 at Ipswich, Queensland. Buchanan, who is also known in cricketing circles as 'Ned Flanders', due to his similarity in appearance to The Simpsons character, played only seven first-class matches in his career; but as Queensland coach he helped the state win their first Sheffield Shield title in 1994-95. Buchanan was appointed as Australia coach in October 1999, and was at the helm for 15 of Australia's record-breaking 16 consecutive Test wins and when they won the World Cups in 2003 and 2007. Buchanan was also the coach when Australia won the Champions Trophy in 2006 and inflicted a 5-0 whitewash on England in the 2006-07 Ashes Series, the first since 1920-21 in the Ashes Series. Though widely regarded as an innovative and groundbreaking coach, Buchanan's unorthodox methods raised a few eyebrows and Shane Warne was dismissive about his role in the team; but former captain Ricky Ponting credits him as being one of the important reasons Australia completed their World Cup hat trick of wins. After quitting as Australia's coach, Buchanan was at the helm of Kolkata Knight Riders for two turbulent years. In May 2011, Buchanan was appointed to the role of Director of Cricket for New Zealand Cricket.
- WI won by 27 runsvs. ENGWI1st T20ISun, Mar 09, 2014Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
- vs. AUSSA1st T20IMatch abandonedSun, Mar 09, 2014Port Elizabeth, South AfricaAustralia in South Africa ...
- SL won by 5 wkts.vs. PAKSLFinalSat, Mar 08, 2014Mirpur, BangladeshAsia Cup, 2014...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. ENGWI2nd T20ITue, Mar 11, 2014Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
- vs. AUSSA2nd T20IWed, Mar 12, 2014Wed, Mar 12, 2014Durban, South AfricaAustralia in South Africa ...
- vs. ENGWI3rd T20IThu, Mar 13, 2014Thu, Mar 13, 2014Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
Latest Photo Albums
Smith's retirement, Asia Cup wrap-up, pink balls, and more. More » Cricket Photos Of The Week 9.3.14
Action images from the third and final One-Day International of the series at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua on March 5, 2014. A stroke-filled maiden century by Denesh Ramdin … More » West Indies vs England, 3rd ODI
All the noteworthy cricket quotes this month. More » Soundbyte — March 2014
The South African captain will retire from international cricket following the conclusion of the third Test against Australia on March 5, 2014. Smith captained South Africa in 108 Test matches, including the present match, over 11 years. Factbox on the superb leader who saw off three England captains … More » Graeme Smith calls time on international career
We're back with Episode 7 of your wonderful street photography.
If you are a photographer, here's how you can participate. [Archive: Episodes … More » Street Cricket Photography Challenge - 7
Action images from the second One-Day International of the three-match series at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua. England defeated the West Indies by three wickets to level … More » West Indies vs England, 2nd ODI