Jaipur - not just for the Literature Festival
Though the Jaipur Literature Festival – always colorful, often controversial -- is the premier literary event in the country, it is not all that Jaipur has to offer. Founded in 1727 by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II, a Kachwaha Rajput who ruled the state of Jaipur from 1699 to 1744, the city takes after his name. The Maharaja moved his capital from Amber Fort, 11 km from the city in the adjoining hills, owing to a scarcity of water and growing population. In 1853, when the Prince of Wales visited the city, the entire city was painted a shade of earthy pink to welcome him. The practice stayed, and Jaipur assumed the sobriquet of Pink City thereafter. The Nahargarh Fort, which overlooks the city from a hillock to the northwest, the Jaigarh Fort known for its enormous cannon are the other forts. The City Palace, the Prince Albert Museum, Hawa Mahal, Jantar Mantar and the Jal Mahal are some of the most-visited monuments.
Explore Jaipur through these photos.
- vs. ENGWI1st T20ISun, Mar 09, 2014Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
- vs. AUSSA1st T20IMatch abandonedSun, Mar 09, 2014Port Elizabeth, South AfricaAustralia in South Africa ...
- SL won by 5 wkts.vs. PAKSLFinalSat, Mar 08, 2014Mirpur, BangladeshAsia Cup, 2014...
- No live matches are in progress.
- vs. ENGWI2nd T20ITue, Mar 11, 2014Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
- Upcoming matchvs. AUSSA2nd T20IWed, Mar 12, 2014Durban, South AfricaAustralia in South Africa ...
- vs. ENGWI3rd T20IThu, Mar 13, 2014Thu, Mar 13, 2014Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
Latest Photo Albums
All the noteworthy cricket quotes this month. More » Soundbyte — March 2014
MNS chief Raj Thackeray hosted master blaster Sachin Tendulkar and singer Lata Mangeshkar at his residence on Sunday. More » Spotted: Sachin Tendulkar with Lata Mangeshkar
Smith's retirement, Asia Cup wrap-up, pink balls, and more. More » Cricket Photos Of The Week 9.3.14
Action images from the third and final One-Day International of the series at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua on March 5, 2014. A stroke-filled maiden century by Denesh Ramdin … More » West Indies vs England, 3rd ODI
The South African captain will retire from international cricket following the conclusion of the third Test against Australia on March 5, 2014. Smith captained South Africa in 108 Test matches, including the present match, over 11 years. Factbox on the superb leader who saw off three England captains … More » Graeme Smith calls time on international career
We're back with Episode 7 of your wonderful street photography.
If you are a photographer, here's how you can participate. [Archive: Episodes … More » Street Cricket Photography Challenge - 7