Germany's incredible Tropical Islands
Imagine a paradise where winter overcoats are traded for bikinis, snowshoes for bare feet, and cold, crunchy snow for warm, golden sand. Sounds incredible?
Not at Tropical Islands, Europe’s largest tropical holiday world. Its promise is to offers its guests “the best of the tropics” without the need for a long plane journey. Tropical Islands recreates the tropical beach experiences of Asia and the Pacific, Africa and South America under one enormous roof. While wintry winds or a chilly spring breeze howls outside, the temperature inside this paradise is a balmy 26°C. Tourists and residents flock here to relax, recharge and enjoy a good time.
Tropical Islands opened to the public in 2004 and offers visitors a
tropical getaway complete with exotic flora and fauna, a beach, lagoon,
restaurants, water slide, evening shows, sauna, adventure park and
overnights stays ranging from rudimentary to luxury. The hangar, which
is 360 metres long, 210 metres wide and 107 metres high, is tall enough
to enclose the Statue of Liberty.
The resort, which can hold 6,000 people at one time, offers a wide range of accommodation with a choice of 200 rooms and lodges (600 beds) while 130 tents in the Rainforest Camps within the dome provide an additional 350 beds. Just outside is the Tropical Islands campsite as well as numerous holiday homes and holiday apartments.
The dome, formerly a hangar located on a former Soviet military air base, is the largest free-standing hall in the world. It offers 66,000 square meters of floorspace and five million cubic meters of enclosed space. It is covered with 20,000 square meters of UV-transparent film on the south side of the dome. It is planted with 600 species of plants numbering about 50,000.
Tropical Islands (website) is located in Brandenburg between Berlin and Dresden. The investors behind Tropical Islands are the Tanjong Public Limited Company, based in Malaysia, and Au Leisure Investments Pte Ltd. from Singapore.
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY:
- Chilling out in Dubai's Ice Lounge
- A ski resort in the Dubai desert
- LOXX - Berlin's amazing toy train landscape
See More in Yahoo Cricket Widescreen
1 - 4 of 39
- WI won by 5 wkts.vs. ENGWI2nd T20ITue, Mar 11, 2014Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
- WI won by 27 runsvs. ENGWI1st T20ISun, Mar 09, 2014Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
- vs. AUSSA1st T20IMatch abandonedSun, Mar 09, 2014Port Elizabeth, South AfricaAustralia in South Africa ...
- live match WI 155/5 (18.5 Overs)vs. ENGWI2nd T20ILIVEENG 152/7;Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
- Upcoming matchvs. AUSSA2nd T20IWed, Mar 12, 2014Durban, South AfricaAustralia in South Africa ...
- Upcoming matchvs. ENGWI3rd T20IThu, Mar 13, 2014Bridgetown, Barbados, West IndiesEngland in West Indies T20...
- vs. AUSSA3rd T20IFri, Mar 14, 2014Fri, Mar 14, 2014Centurion, South AfricaAustralia in South Africa ...