Mumbai: The trophy that would be presented to the winner of the ICC Women’s World Cup here on February 17 next year but has been held by the Mumbai Customs could well remain in their custody till the beginning of the tournament on January 31.
Colin Gibson, head of media and communications with the International Cricket Council ( ICC), said here on Tuesday that there was no certainty as to when the trophy would be released by the Customs.
And because of the absence of the trophy, the ICC cancelled a scheduled tournament launch function at the Wankhede Stadium, one of five venues in Mumbai where the World Cup will be played.
The other venues are Bandra Kurla Complex, the Cricket Club of India’s Brabourne Stadium, Middle Income Group Ground and DY Patil Stadium.
“I was bringing the trophy in a bag. We had done the proper paperwork, but the Customs said there was no communication that the trophy should be allowed to go,” Gibson told Mail Today at the BCCI headquarters here.
“They gave the reason that there was no communication to them that the trophy should be allowed to go. They said there was no communication from the higher- ups in the Customs. Now, the trophy could remain here till the start of the tournament,” he said.
Interestingly, Mumbai Customs have also confiscated the trophy that India won by beating Pakistan in the final of the women’s Twenty20 Asia Cup in Guangzhou, China, on October 31.
BCCI secretary Sanjay Jagdale said that since he arrived in Mumbai only on Tuesday, he wasn’t aware of the situation.
Customs had also seized the men’s 50- over World Cup trophy last year and a duplicate cup was presented to the Indian team, as reported by M AIL T ODAY . They wanted the ICC to pay a certain duty on the goldplated trophy, but the game’s world body flatly refused. The trophy was eventually taken to the ICC’s Dubai- based headquarters.
Women’s World Cup trophy may not be let go till JanuaryBy Qaiser Mohammad Ali | Mail Today – Wed 21 Nov, 2012 9:47 AM IST
- Match drawnvs. WINZ1st TestMon, Dec 02, 2013Dunedin, New ZealandWest Indies in New Zealand...
- SA won by 141 runsvs. INDSA1st ODIThu, Dec 05, 2013Johannesburg, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- IRE won by 68 runsvs. IREAFGFinalSat, Nov 30, 2013Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesICC World Twenty20 Qualifi...
- Upcoming matchvs. INDSA2nd ODISun, Dec 08, 2013Durban, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- Upcoming matchvs. PAKAFGOne-off T20ISun, Dec 08, 2013Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesAfghanistan vs Pakistan T2...
- vs. WINZ2nd TestTue, Dec 10, 2013Tue, Dec 10, 2013Wellington, New ZealandWest Indies in New Zealand...
1 - 4 of 20