The Indian Premier League on Sunday witnessed one of its most memorable moments when Sachin Tendulkar walked up to Sir Vivian Richards — Delhi Daredevils’ new ambassador-cum-advisor — at the Ferozeshah Kotla.
It was a scene worth capturing when Daredevils mentor TA Sekar informed Tendulkar about Richards’ arrival. Tendulkar who was engaged in a knocking session just dropped all work and trudged slowly towards the iconic West Indian as they were cheered lustily by all those present at the stadium.
First, they were engaged in bear hug and then Richards pointed at Tendulkar’s abs and patted it as they shared a hearty laugh. Then Richards took hold of Tendulkar's bat, had a close look and did a bit of shadow practise.
After a 10-minute session with Tendulkar, Richards along with Sekar walked towards his team’s training session as the boys welcomed him with a clap.
He then had some words of wisdom in his pep talk during the official team huddle before the players dispersed.
Richards asked the beleaguered outfit to have faith and be solid in mind in the rest of their matches in the IPL. With six consecutive defeats — before Sunday’s win over Mumbai — nothing seemed to have gone right for Delhi this season, and it remains to be seen if Richards can help Delhi still make it to the knockout stages.
"It’s important to keep faith and be solid in mind. The talent that’s there in the dressing room, I marvel. I am sure things are going to get going for them soon,” Richards said.
"I know the team has plenty of players of proven quality and I will see and try to make an impact over the next few days.” The West Indian great is delighted to see players from his part of the world setting the tournament ablaze with their performances.
"I am happy with what’s happening with West Indies cricket, guys like Chris Gayle, (Keiron) Pollard and Dwayne Smith who is here today, they are doing really well here,” he said.
On a lighter note, when asked by his contemporary Sunil Gavaskar if he was actually out on 12 during a Test match against India way back in 1974, a smiling Richards replied: "Sunny, that’s still there in your mind. That was 1974 and now it’s 2013. But I still maintain that I was not out.”
When Sachin met Viv
The two legends met before the DD-MI game with a hug and shared a hearty laugh.Mail Today – Mon 22 Apr, 2013 12:44 PM IST
- SA won by 141 runsvs. INDSA1st ODIThu, Dec 05, 2013Johannesburg, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- IRE won by 68 runsvs. IREAFGFinalSat, Nov 30, 2013Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesICC World Twenty20 Qualifi...
- SA won by 4 wkts.vs. PAKSA3rd ODISat, Nov 30, 2013Centurion, South AfricaPakistan in South Africa O...
- vs. INDSA2nd ODISun, Dec 08, 2013Sun, Dec 08, 2013Durban, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- vs. PAKAFGOne-off T20ISun, Dec 08, 2013Sun, Dec 08, 2013Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesAfghanistan vs Pakistan T2...
- vs. WINZ2nd TestTue, Dec 10, 2013Tue, Dec 10, 2013Wellington, New ZealandWest Indies in New Zealand...
1 - 4 of 20