New Delhi, July 25 (ANI): A juvenile justice court in New Delhi has deferred till August 5 its verdict on the role of the teenager accused in the brutal gang rape and murder of a 23-year old paramedic.
Earlier, the court was expected to pronounce its verdict today.
Janata Party President, Subramanian Swamy had filed a petition in the Supreme Court, for a fresh interpretation of the term 'juvenile', which he raised in the wake of the gruesome gangrape.
The court has agreed to hear his petition on July 31.
Counsel for the juvenile justice board, Rajesh Tiwari, told media that the court proceedings had been deferred till August 5 and they would challenge Swamy's petition.
"Subramanian Swamy had filed an affidavit and on the basis of that affidavit the matter has been adjourned. We would challenge Subramanian Swamy in this matter in whichever court he goes," he said.
If the Juvenile is convicted he can be sent to a correctional facility for a maximum three-year term, which includes the time he has already spent in Police custody.
The gang rape case not only sparked unprecedented protests across cities in India about the security of women but it also triggered demands from some sections of society to lower the age of juvenile offenders to 16 and to try them as adults above that age. This plea was rejected by the court of law.
The other accused Mukesh, Pawan Gupta, Vinay Sharma and Akshay Thakur are being tried in a fast track court in Saket. They have been charged with gang-rape, murder, criminal conspiracy, unnatural sex and robbery besides other sections of IPC.
Proceedings against key accused Ram Singh abated after his death on March 11 when he was found hanging in his cell in Tihar Jail here.
The brutal gang rape and murder of a 23-year old paramedical student by six men on a moving bus in South Delhi area on December 16 last year left the nation outraged and shocked.
The victim died of internal injuries in a Singapore hospital on December 29. (ANI)