Harare: Young India cricket captain Virat Kohli said he was trying to take more responsibilities as he led the team to a seven-wicket win over Zimbabwe in the third ODI of the five-match series at the Harare Sports Club here Sunday.
With India struggling at 67/2, Kohli walked in and led from the front with an unbeaten 68 to enable the visitors take an unassailable 3-0 lead with two matches to spare.
"Was important to win to seal the series. Early breakthroughs with the ball, and not that difficult a total to chase down. We are not setting any goals, did not think we had to seal the series today. Zimbabwe still have some inexperience in the line-up and it is about gaining experience. I am one of the few experienced guys in this side and I am trying to take responsibility," said Kohli.
The India captain also had words of praise for the Zimbabwean fast bowlers.
"Their bowlers have bowled in good areas, they know how to bowl on these wickets, they are using the two new balls well. Our fast bowlers can learn from them," he said.
Among the Indian bowlers, it was comback man leggie Amit Mishra, who did most of the damage with his four for 42 to skittle out Zimbabwe for 183 runs in 46 overs. Mishra was also adjudged as Man of the Match.
Mishra credited bowling coach Joe Dawes for his success.
"Always speak to my bowling coaches and they tell me to go for wickets, and not worry about runs. Whenever you take wickets, it puts pressure. Have worked hard on the googly, with Joe Dawes, and lots of talking on it as well. There are a lot of upcoming players in the side and there is healthy competition," he said.
Having already lost the series, Zimbabwe captain said it was a frustrating experience for his side given the fact that they had put in a lot of hard work to prepare for it.
"Getting quite frustrating now, leading up to the series the amount of work we put in, that not translating into results, and knowing the ability of the players, is irritating. There is still lot to play for in Bulawayo. Generally soft dismissals, guys need to toughen up mentally. Michael Chinouya has been knocking on the door for ages," he said.
Trying to take the responsibility: KohliIANS – Mon 29 Jul, 2013 12:59 PM IST
- AUS won by 218 runsvs. ENGAUS2nd TestThu, Dec 05, 2013Adelaide, AustraliaThe Ashes 2013-14...
- PAK won by 6 wkts.vs. PAKAFGOne-off T20ISun, Dec 08, 2013Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesAfghanistan vs Pakistan T2...
- SA won by 134 runsvs. INDSA2nd ODISun, Dec 08, 2013Durban, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. WINZ2nd TestTue, Dec 10, 2013Wellington, New ZealandWest Indies in New Zealand...
- vs. INDSA3rd ODIWed, Dec 11, 2013Wed, Dec 11, 2013Centurion, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- vs. SLPAK1st T20IWed, Dec 11, 2013Wed, Dec 11, 2013Dubai, United Arab EmiratesPakistan vs Sri Lanka T20 ...
1 - 4 of 20