Sachin Tendulkar and Wasim Jaffer scored hundreds to give Mumbai a strong start to their Ranji Trophy quarterfinal against Baroda.
Tendulkar was watchful during his 233-ball knock of 108 runs while Jaffer made 137 and was unbeaten at stumps. Mumbai made 272-3 in the day.
Electing to bat in this home fixture at the Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai began poorly. They lost opener Kaustabh Pawar and one-down Hiken Shah cheaply.
Jaffer and Tendulkar revived the innings with their 234-run partnership. Tendulkar fell just before stumps to seam bowler Murtuja Vahora.
The master batsman, who had retired from one-day internationals recently, made 108 in the critical home fixture at the Wankhede Stadium.
The hundreds by Jaffer and Tendulkar held great statistical significance as well. For Tendulkar, it was his 80th First Class hundred. He is one short of Sunil Gavaskar’s record for India.
The overall record for First Class hundreds is held by Jack Hobbs, who made 199 of them over a 29-year-long career.
For Jaffer, it was his 31st Ranji hundred, putting him level with Ajay Sharma.
Brief scores: Mumbai 272-3 (Jaffer 137; Tendulkar 108; M Vahora 2-50)
Tendulkar, Jaffer hit hundreds in Ranji quarterfinalYahoo! Cricket – Sun 6 Jan, 2013 8:48 PM IST
- AUS won by 218 runsvs. ENGAUS2nd TestThu, Dec 05, 2013Adelaide, AustraliaThe Ashes 2013-14...
- PAK won by 6 wkts.vs. PAKAFGOne-off T20ISun, Dec 08, 2013Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesAfghanistan vs Pakistan T2...
- SA won by 134 runsvs. INDSA2nd ODISun, Dec 08, 2013Durban, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. WINZ2nd TestTue, Dec 10, 2013Wellington, New ZealandWest Indies in New Zealand...
- Upcoming matchvs. INDSA3rd ODIWed, Dec 11, 2013Centurion, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- Upcoming matchvs. SLPAK1st T20IWed, Dec 11, 2013Dubai, United Arab EmiratesPakistan vs Sri Lanka T20 ...
1 - 4 of 20