New Delhi: Services skipper Soumik Chatterjee’s comments at the end of their match against Tamil Nadu summed up their plight in the Ranji Trophy opener.
“My dismissal was the turning point. If Yashpal (Singh) would have got more support from the other batsmen, we could have easily taken the first-innings lead,” Soumik said.
Having resumed on 245/5 in their Group B match at the Air Force Sports Complex ground on Wednesday, Services were dismissed for 346, with overnight batsman Yashpal missing out on his century by two runs. Tamil Nadu had earlier scored 456 in their firth innings.
Suraj Yadav scored 56 runs and tried to resuscitate his side’s chances but the tail failed to put up any resistance as they were dismissed two overs before lunch.
Tendulkar inspires Mumbai to win in Ranji farewell
Tamil Nadu skipper Lakshmipathy Balaji, after enduring a wicketless outing on Tuesday, scalped three to emerge as his side’s highest wicket-taker. R. Malolan, Aswin Crist and R Aushik Srinivas took two wickets each.
Tamil Nadu, having taken the all-important first innings lead of 110 runs, notched up 117 runs for five wickets in the second innings. Murali Vijay, in line for the opener’s spot in the West Indies series, once again failed to get some runs under his belt as he fell for just four runs. He was caught at second slip by Yashpal off paceman Nishan Singh.
With no demons in the pitch, the vistors were guilty of throwing away their wickets.
Abhinav Mukund was looking good but he was unlucky to be caught off guard as Baba Aparajith’s straight drive was touched by Nishan Singh in his follow through and hit the stumps.
Aparajith, who scored a double ton in the first innings, was dismissed for 16 as he was caught behind after chasing a wide delivery off Anshul Gupta. Dinesh Karthik, just like in the first innings, fell to an innocuous delivery as he miscued his pull and was caught by the bowler Pratik Desai.
Brief scores: Tamil Nadu: 456/7 decl. & 117/5 ( Mukund 33; Nazar 1/9) Services 346 (Yashpal 98, Suraj 56; Balaji 3/56).
Other Ranji results:
- At Rajkot, Saurashtra 475/7 decl. beat Rajasthan 136 & 308 all out by an innings and 31 runs.
- At Guwahati, Assam 323 & 217/9 drew with Kerala 362.
- At Uppal, Hyderabad 221 & 251/6 decl. drew with Andhra 185 & 51/0.
- At Indore, Madhya Pradesh 510/6 decl. drew with Railways 335 & 235/6.
- At Pune, Maharashtra 460/3 decl. & 63/1 beat Tripura 304 & 218 by 9 wickets.
- At Mohali , Odisha 205 & 307 (91.4 ov) lost to Punjab 560/6 decl. by an innings and 48 runs.
- In Jamshedpur, Jharkhand and Delhi shared a point each after their Group A match was abandoned without a ball being bowled.
Reproduced from Mail Today. Copyright 2013. MTNPL. All rights reserved.