When Sandeep Patil and his team — Vikram Rathour, Rajinder Hans, Syed Saba Karim and Roger Binny took over the new selection committee in September 2012, Indian cricket was in a state of flux and the future of the team under skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni was uncertain.
While the team’s fortunes didn’t turn overnight, the foundation stone was being laid towards a better future.
Currently, the team is ranked No. 1 in ODIs, No. 2 in Tests and No. 4 in T20 cricket. More than the ranking, it is the dominant display of the team that has caught everyone’s eye.
Beating Australia 4-0 in the last Test series looked like a walk in the park for India, but winning the ICC Champions Trophy in England and winning the tri-series in the West Indies wasn’t easy.
Speaking to Mail Today, a senior BCCI official said that the selectors were set to be given a cash prize of Rs.10 lakh each for their efforts.
“It was decided in the Working Committee meeting that along with the cash prize of Rs.1 crore to the players and Rs.30 lakh to each member of the support staff, even the selectors would be rewarded for their performance. They are already paid, but they have done a tremendous job over the past year and deserved to be recognised,” he said.
The official said the selectors had taken some tough calls and the faith that they have shown on youngsters has been repaid.
“It is never easy when you are asked to pick 15 of the best players in the country. But the selectors have shown that they are ready to take chances and reward those who are in form."
“If you look at the records, the youngsters have repaid the faith the selectors have shown on them. The present crop of cricketers feel that this bunch of selectors have opened the doors for them."
“The calls they have taken were said to be harsh and unwarranted. But the best part is that they have stood by their decisions and it has reaped the desired results. The Board feels they have done an immaculate job,” he said.
While the selectors couldn’t be reached on Sunday, one of the selectors had told Mail Today earlier that they were looking to take tough calls.
“It is obvious that the team was going through a tough phase and we had to sit down and take some strong calls. You either perform or perish, that has been our mantra,” he said.
Selectors set to be rewarded for team’s performanceBy Baidurjo Bhose | Mail Today – Mon 29 Jul, 2013 8:58 AM IST
- IRE won by 68 runsvs. IREAFGFinalSat, Nov 30, 2013Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesICC World Twenty20 Qualifi...
- SA won by 4 wkts.vs. PAKSA3rd ODISat, Nov 30, 2013Centurion, South AfricaPakistan in South Africa O...
- NED won by 8 wkts.vs. NEDSCOQualifying Play-offThu, Nov 28, 2013Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesICC World Twenty20 Qualifi...
- Upcoming matchvs. INDSA1st ODIThu, Dec 05, 2013Johannesburg, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- vs. INDSA2nd ODISun, Dec 08, 2013Sun, Dec 08, 2013Durban, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- vs. PAKAFGOne-off T20ISun, Dec 08, 2013Sun, Dec 08, 2013Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesAfghanistan vs Pakistan T2...
1 - 4 of 20