Melbourne, July 21 (ANI): Australia, which was playing for the number one spot on the world Test rankings last December, is now staring at a 'dreadful place in history' as it faces its sixth Test loss in a row, according to the country's media.
According to the Courier Mail, with a woeful batting line-up rapidly falling apart since the beginning of the Lord's Test, Australia achieved such a chilling feat almost 30 years ago against the West Indies, when they had the most brutal pace attack ever assembled.
Stating that Australia has only once ever lost seven Tests in a row, from 1884-87, the report said that the anticipation built up at Trent Bridge following Ashton Agar's debut and Australia's gallant fight has evaporated, adding that the anticipation for the return Ashes series in Australia may turn into trepidation if the series continued in the way that it has been doing till now.
The report further said that Cricket Australia (CA) might have been facing a loss if it did not put its Ashes tickets for next summer on sale last week, adding that it is disappointing that there is no quick fix for the side as all of Australia's best batsmen are present in the Ashes squad.
Stating that it has been two years since the Argus report turned Australian cricket on its head following the last Ashes debacle in Australia, the report also said that the performance of the team raises concerns about how much has Australian cricket been investing in the future and fears that cricket is being run over by the football codes.
The report mentioned that despite the detailed report making structural changes and attempting to create an incentive based payment system, it could do nothing about the dearth of batting talent in the country. (ANI)