Ahmedabad: Three centuries in his first three Tests as captain, Alastair Cook couldn't have asked for a better start to his career in England's leadership role.
“Some players blossom with added responsibility… he (Cook) is certainly one of them,” said England batting coach, Graham Gooch, after the left-handed batsman made him proud with an unbeaten 168.
“That (the century) will do him a world of good. He has shown what he is capable of and what this team is capable of. I think that was as good an innings as I’ve seen him play because he was under great pressure after a poor first innings performance from the team," added the former England opener.
England had their backs to the wall when they were all out for 191 in the first innings, and were made to follow on.
After they were routed by Pakistani spinners at the start of the year in the UAE, many had started doubting whether Cook's team was capable of handling quality spin.
"We saw poor shots, poor decisions, bad mistakes, bad thinking and bad judgement (in England's first innings) and then you sometimes see the opposite, which is what we saw today," said Gooch.
"It was a great commitment and great fighting spirit from our guys. There was self-belief and Alastair led from the front. It is not just physical skill I'm talking about, you need skill between the ears as well."
The England batting coach was equally delighted with the performance of Matt Prior (84 not out).
"Matt has been a fantastic cricketer. He has played some great counter-attacking innings. He comes in at seven, he likes to take on the bowlers a bit and he likes to play aggressive cricket. He tempered his style a bit to stay with Alastair. You still saw some shots, but he showed resolute defence and that is the style of play that worked."
Despite England avoiding an innings defeat, Gooch observed that India were still the favourites.
Old master of spin hails gritty England skipperBy Hindustan Times | Yahoo! Cricket – Mon 19 Nov, 2012 9:58 AM IST
- NZ won by an inn.vs. WINZ2nd TestTue, Dec 10, 2013Wellington, New ZealandWest Indies in New Zealand...
- PAK won by 3 wkts.vs. SLPAK1st T20IWed, Dec 11, 2013Dubai, United Arab EmiratesPakistan vs Sri Lanka T20 ...
- Match abandonedvs. INDSA3rd ODIWed, Dec 11, 2013Centurion, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- live match AUS 303/6 (79.5 Overs)vs. ENGAUS3rd TestLIVECurrent Run Rate 3.79Perth, AustraliaThe Ashes 2013-14...
- Upcoming matchvs. SLPAK2nd T20IFri, Dec 13, 2013Dubai, United Arab EmiratesPakistan vs Sri Lanka T20 ...
- vs. INDSA1st TestWed, Dec 18, 2013Wed, Dec 18, 2013Johannesburg, South AfricaIndia in South Africa Test...
- vs. SLPAK1st ODIWed, Dec 18, 2013Wed, Dec 18, 2013Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesPakistan vs Sri Lanka ODI ...
1 - 4 of 20