Statistician V. Jayadevan has relentlessly argued that the system he proposes to calculate targets in interrupted One-Day Internationals and Twenty 20 matches is better than the Duckworth-Lewis method favoured by the International Cricket Council.
The recent tri-series in the West Indies had several matches affected by rain, and Jayadevan made a comparison between the revised targets arrived at by the Duckworth-Lewis method and his own system.
“I had requested ICC to keep the VJD system results as a record in the curtailed matches where the D/L method comes in to play so that cricket lovers and experts get a chance to compare. But ICC rejected even that,” Jayadevan said.
Duckworth-Lewis rival accuses ICC of bias
Rain rule debate turns into India vs ICC fight
Jayadevan challenges Duckworth-Lewis rule
The engineer claimed the feedback he received was that most people believed the targets arrived at by the D/L system were quite high. “The VJD targets are also not substantially less. But definitely it is much better and more sensible,” he said.
In the fourth match of the series, in which India scored 311 in 50 overs and the hosts were 56 for two in 10 overs, the D/L target in 39 overs was 274 while Jayadevan arrived at the figure of 268. In the final group game, India were 119 for three in 29 overs. Sri Lanka had to score 178 (under D/L method) and 169 (under VJM).
Jayadevan has often accused the world body of discrimination when he had approached it to evaluate the merits of the two methods.
Reproduced from Mail Today. Copyright 2009. MTNPL. All rights reserved.
Jayadevan's plea falls on deaf ears
Statistician V. Jayadevan said the ICC rejected his request to keep his VJD method results as a record in the curtailed matches where the D/L method comes in to play.Mail Today – Sat 13 Jul, 2013 9:24 AM IST
- AUS won by 218 runsvs. ENGAUS2nd TestThu, Dec 05, 2013Adelaide, AustraliaThe Ashes 2013-14...
- PAK won by 6 wkts.vs. PAKAFGOne-off T20ISun, Dec 08, 2013Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesAfghanistan vs Pakistan T2...
- SA won by 134 runsvs. INDSA2nd ODISun, Dec 08, 2013Durban, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- live match SL 11/1 (2.1 Overs)vs. SLPAK1st T20ILIVECurrent Run Rate 5.07Dubai, United Arab EmiratesPakistan vs Sri Lanka T20 ...
- live match SA 301/8 (50 Overs)vs. INDSA3rd ODILIVECurrent Run Rate 6.02Centurion, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- live match NZ 307/6 (90 Overs)vs. WINZ2nd TestLIVECurrent Run Rate 3.41Wellington, New ZealandWest Indies in New Zealand...
1 - 4 of 20