New Delhi, Feb. 15 (ANI): Confirming fresh incidents of ceasefire violations in Jammu and Kashmir's Rajouri Sector, the Indian Army on Friday said that a Pakistani soldier, who had crossed the Line of Control in the Nowshera sub-sector, has been killed in a firefight, and added that his dead body would be returned later in the day.
Indian Army spokesperson Colonel Jagdeep Dahiya said there have been two incidents of ceasefire violations in the Rajouri Sector yesterday, one in the Krishna Ghati sub-sector and another in the Nowshera sub-sector.
"In the Nowshera sub-sector at around 1500 hours, one individual who was dressed in combats and carrying a weapon crossed the Line of Control and fired on our troops. Our troops engaged him in a firefight, and in this firefight, two soldiers have been injured, and this individual was killed," he said.
Colonel Dahiya informed that the Pakistani side following the Directors General of Military Operations (DGMO)-level talks held this morning stated that the individual killed was one of its soldiers.
"There were no identifications on this individual. Subsequently, last night a call was received from Pakistan DGMO for DGMO-level talks. And this DGMO-level talks were held today morning in which the Pakistan DGMO has stated that the individual who was killed in a firefight after he had crossed the Line of Control yesterday afternoon was a Pakistan soldier," said Colonel Dahiya.
"And, they have requested for the return of his mortal remains. The mortal remains of the dead individual will be returned later in the afternoon today," he added.
Colonel Dahiya further said Pakistani troops were engaged in an unprovoked ceasefire violation, where they fired upon the Indian post in the second incident in the Krishna Ghati sub-sector.
"In the second incident in the Krishna Ghati sub-sector, Pakistani troops were engaged in an unprovoked ceasefire violation where they fired upon our post between 8 o' clock and around 9: 15. And there were no casualties on our side, our troops retaliated the fire in a controlled measure with effective fire," he said.
A string of clashes along the 742-km LoC last month marked the worst violations of ceasefire that was put in place by India and Pakistan in late 2003. Two Indian soldiers were killed, including Lance Naik Hemraj who was beheaded by Pakistani troopers in an attack along the Line of Control in Mendhar Sector of Jammu and Kashmir on January 8.
India had strongly protested to Pakistan about the killing of the two jawans. Pakistan had denied India's claim that its troops crossed the Line of Control to ambush a patrol party in the Mendhar sector in Poonch district.
The clashes had sparked a war of words before the Directors General of Military Operations of the two sides agreed on steps to de-escalate the situation. (ANI)