New Delhi (The Telegraph): Having led the Kolkata Knight Riders to the IPL title, Gautam Gambhir on Friday said that he is ready to captain the Indian Test side.
Asked if he was ready to lead the Test side, Gambhir said: “Absolutely, it is the biggest honour. I am ready for it. Ready for the responsibility of the challenge because you want to take different challenges as well. That’s where your mental toughness and character will be tested."
“I have heard of the talks (of he being made India captain), but as I have said a captain is as good as the team. It’s a successful team that makes a successful captain and not that a successful captain makes a successful team,” he told a TV channel.
Gambhir has so far played 48 Tests and 134 ODIs, but said he still feels insecure about being dropped from the national team.
“I am a very very insecure guy as far as my profession is concerned and my insecurity is far more than my security. Even now to be honest…"
Gambhir reveals mantra that made KKR champions
Only Knight Riders belong to Kolkata: Gambhir
Fine IPL franchises for players’ misconduct, says Gambhir
Gambhir can't be compared to MSD as t20 captain: Ganguly
“That’s how I played my cricket starting from my Under-14 days, everyone told me if I don’t score runs I will be dropped. Since I started playing cricket as a kid I consider every game I played my last game."
“Even at this stage, if I don’t score runs in two or three games, I start feeling that I am going to be dropped. That has gone so much inside my system that I have started living with it,” Gambhir said.
Surprisingly, he also said that he did not enjoy too much of cricket and the game was just his priority.
“I don’t enjoy, to be honest, too much of cricket. For me cricket is something which is my priority. I want to get there and get the best result. One thing which has helped me is that whatever I have gone through I try not to give to other people playing with me. Whenever I led a side I have always tried that my players feel secure."
“It’s not about what I enjoy or not. Till the time the team is enjoying I am happy with that,” he said.
Gambhir ready to lead in Tests
Gambhir also said he still feels insecure about being dropped from the national team.Yahoo! Cricket – Sat 2 Jun, 2012 12:05 PM IST
- AUS won by 218 runsvs. ENGAUS2nd TestThu, Dec 05, 2013Adelaide, AustraliaThe Ashes 2013-14...
- PAK won by 6 wkts.vs. PAKAFGOne-off T20ISun, Dec 08, 2013Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesAfghanistan vs Pakistan T2...
- SA won by 134 runsvs. INDSA2nd ODISun, Dec 08, 2013Durban, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. WINZ2nd TestTue, Dec 10, 2013Wellington, New ZealandWest Indies in New Zealand...
- Upcoming matchvs. INDSA3rd ODIWed, Dec 11, 2013Centurion, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- Upcoming matchvs. SLPAK1st T20IWed, Dec 11, 2013Dubai, United Arab EmiratesPakistan vs Sri Lanka T20 ...
1 - 4 of 20