Gautam Gambhir is not shy of admitting he would love to be India captain.
Speaking to Headlines Today, Gambhir said: “I would relish the opportunity to be Test captain. Who doesn’t want to? But captaincy won’t change my passion for the game.”
Gambhir, the Kolkata Knight Riders captain, also said that franchises should be ‘heavily fined’ if they are unable to control the conduct of their players.
“Somewhere down the line, franchises need to control these things. A certain player from a certain team does these things, the franchise needs to be fined and it has to be fined heavily.” Royal Challengers Bangalore’s Luke Pomersbach was accused of molestation by an American national.
But the IPL-winning captain put up a strong defence of the league and the BCCI, saying: “It is the responsibility of the franchise to control its players. BCCI can’t appoint one person to keep a watch over each player."
Controversy, Thy name is IPL
Assault case against Pomersbach withdrawn
BCCI needs to be transparent and accountable: Maken
BCCI shows its vindictive side ... again!
“Players who have a history of binge drinking and have got into trouble in the past, franchises should impose a curfew on them and they should be sent back to their rooms.”
The IPL also faced allegations of spot-fixing and black money, leading some like BJP MP Kirti Azad to demand a ban on the T20 tournament. But Gambhir put up a stout defence of the BCCI, shifting the onus to franchises.
“We keep blaming the BCCI and the IPL for all these things. A lot of these things can be sorted out if the franchise is strong enough. Whatever we sign for is given, and nothing is given under the table,” he said.
Answering parliamentarians’ demand for a ban, Gambhir said: “I am sure there are a number of other issues for parliament to debate than the IPL.”
Gambhir says that after the kind of reception he has got at Eden Gardens, he now considers himself a Kolkata boy. However, the one thing he cannot do is dance for team co-owner
Shah Rukh Khan. “The one thing I cannot do is dance for SRK. He has succeeded in everything he tried, the only thing he has failed to do is make me dance. And I hope he will not try again.”
Reproduced From Mail Today. Copyright 2012. MTNPL. All rights reserved.
Fine franchises for players’ misconduct: Gambhir
Answering parliamentarians’ demand for a ban, Gambhir said: “I am sure there are a number of other issues for parliament to debate than the IPL.”Mail Today – Fri 1 Jun, 2012 10:38 AM IST
- SA won by 141 runsvs. INDSA1st ODIThu, Dec 05, 2013Johannesburg, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- IRE won by 68 runsvs. IREAFGFinalSat, Nov 30, 2013Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesICC World Twenty20 Qualifi...
- SA won by 4 wkts.vs. PAKSA3rd ODISat, Nov 30, 2013Centurion, South AfricaPakistan in South Africa O...
- Upcoming matchvs. INDSA2nd ODISun, Dec 08, 2013Durban, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- Upcoming matchvs. PAKAFGOne-off T20ISun, Dec 08, 2013Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesAfghanistan vs Pakistan T2...
- vs. WINZ2nd TestTue, Dec 10, 2013Tue, Dec 10, 2013Wellington, New ZealandWest Indies in New Zealand...
1 - 4 of 20