It’s only human to seek divine intervention in the time of crisis. No matter what the person has achieved in life, he tends to turn to god for help when faced with grave problems in life. Cricketers are no different. They also seek solace in religion and wish with all their heart for help to pour in from the heavens while passing through a rough phase in their life.
2013 has been a tough year for cricketers with spot- and match-fixing controversies taking center-stage. The careers of some promising players have come to an abrupt end. And like in the past, the difficult time has brought these cricketers closer to god.
India pacer S Sreesanth was handed life ban by the BCCI on Friday for his alleged nexus with bookies. A deeply religious man, he had in June prayed at the Sabarimala shrine after being released from the Tihar jail on bail. The Kerala cricketer apparently took a vow to visit the shrine when he was in jail.
Sreesanth walked the 5-km stretch from the Pamba river, carrying the pooja items on his head before performing the rituals. He also gave an offering of plantains equal to his body weight (Thulabaram) at another Kerala temple.
Similarly, Bangladesh cricketer Mohammad Ashraful, who was banned from all forms of cricket after admitting to fixing in the Bangladesh Premier League, left for Saudi Arabia on Saturday on Haj.
Even former South Africa captain, the late Hansie Cronje, who professed to be a religious man, had confessed to Johannesburg evangelist Ray McCauley that he had taken his ‘eyes off Jesus when tempted by Satan’ before appearing before the King Commission to face charges of match-fixing.
While it’s impossible to measure the benefits an individual could get by seeking divine help it’s not hard to understand that going religious at least helps the person in distress find peace.
Finding their religion
Like many living troubled lives, Sreesanth too has turned to faith.By Firoz Mirza | Hindustan Times | Yahoo! Cricket – Mon 16 Sep, 2013 11:12 AM IST
- Match drawnvs. WINZ1st TestMon, Dec 02, 2013Dunedin, New ZealandWest Indies in New Zealand...
- SA won by 141 runsvs. INDSA1st ODIThu, Dec 05, 2013Johannesburg, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- IRE won by 68 runsvs. IREAFGFinalSat, Nov 30, 2013Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesICC World Twenty20 Qualifi...
- Upcoming matchvs. PAKAFGOne-off T20ISun, Dec 08, 2013Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesAfghanistan vs Pakistan T2...
- vs. WINZ2nd TestTue, Dec 10, 2013Tue, Dec 10, 2013Wellington, New ZealandWest Indies in New Zealand...
- vs. INDSA3rd ODIWed, Dec 11, 2013Wed, Dec 11, 2013Centurion, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
1 - 4 of 20