He might have been dropped from the Indian squad for the first three ODIs against England, but this is definitely not the end of the road for India’s swashbuckling opener, Virender Sehwag.
If a senior Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) official is to be believed, the selectors’ decision to drop Sehwag is just ‘shock treatment’ dished out to jolt him out of complacency.
Sehwag axed from ODI squad, Pujara comes in
“No way can you say that it is curtains for Sehwag as far as his ODI career is concerned, or that he is out of the scheme of things for the national selectors. Sometimes when you play for a long span of time, complacency sets in and you start losing focus. So the selectors decided to give him a wake-up call. You can never forget the impact someone like Sehwag has on the opposition bowling,” the official told MAIL TODAY on the condition of anonymity.
“While the selectors and the board are keen to try out new players, experience can never be discounted. The selectors are looking for a good mix of youth and experience in the line-up and if dropping Sehwag helps in bringing back the hunger in him, why not? At the end of the day, it is all for the cause of the team.”
Indian fans will hope the move can have the same impact as the one when Sehwag was dropped in 2007 and came back with a bang Down Under in 2008, scoring 151 against Australia in the fourth Test in Adelaide to cement his place once again.
Door not shut for Sehwag
The selectors’ decision to drop Sehwag is just ‘shock treatment’ dished out to jolt him out of complacency.By Baidurjo Bhose | Mail Today – Sat 12 Jan, 2013 9:41 AM IST
- SA won by 141 runsvs. INDSA1st ODIThu, Dec 05, 2013Johannesburg, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- IRE won by 68 runsvs. IREAFGFinalSat, Nov 30, 2013Abu Dhabi, United Arab EmiratesICC World Twenty20 Qualifi...
- SA won by 4 wkts.vs. PAKSA3rd ODISat, Nov 30, 2013Centurion, South AfricaPakistan in South Africa O...
- Upcoming matchvs. INDSA2nd ODISun, Dec 08, 2013Durban, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- Upcoming matchvs. PAKAFGOne-off T20ISun, Dec 08, 2013Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesAfghanistan vs Pakistan T2...
- vs. WINZ2nd TestTue, Dec 10, 2013Tue, Dec 10, 2013Wellington, New ZealandWest Indies in New Zealand...
1 - 4 of 20