New Delhi: Even though Rajkumar Sharma is impressed with Virat Kohli’s captaincy, he feels that his ward should try to learn as much as he can from Mahendra Singh Dhoni as long as the man with the Midas touch is at the helm of affairs.
A hamstring injury to Dhoni during the tri-series in the West Indies resulted in Kohli’s promotion to captaincy. Kohli did a terrific job by leading the team to the final, before Dhoni took over in the final. And Sharma feels that Dhoni is the ideal man to lead the team.
Sharma said that even though he is impressed with the Delhi lad’s leadership skills, he wants Kohli to concentrate on his role as Dhoni’s deputy.
Magnificent Dhoni snatches trophy from Sri Lanka
Rasool gets maiden call-up, Kohli to lead India in Zimbabwe
Would love to have Dhoni's calmness and composure: Kohli
“I have been watching him in the West Indies and I think he has done a good job. But I still feel that Dhoni is the best man to lead India. Till the time Dhoni is playing, Kohli should be his deputy and learn as much as he can from the man who has brought so much glory to India,” he said.
While no two captains are the same, Sharma feels that Kohli is more in the Sourav Ganguly mould.
“Kohli is not only an aggressive skipper, but also an aggressive person by nature. And I am all for that, provided Kohli doesn’t cross the line. I feel Kohli is more like Ganguly as a skipper when compared to the calmer Dhoni,” he said.
While Dhoni was going through a rough phase after losing to England and Australia last year, there were calls for making Kohli the skipper. Others felt he was too young to be handed the responsibility. His coach, though, begs to differ.
“Age has nothing to do with captaincy and I don’t think it is the right approach. Handing captaincy is more about evaluating how good a person is when it comes to analysing situations and reacting to them. It has more to do with leading the team by example,” Sharma said.
Kohli enjoys a reputation of having a flamboyant lifestyle off the field, but his coach feels it is a thing of the past.
Reproduced from Mail Today. Copyright 2009. MTNPL. All rights reserved.
Coach feels Kohli should keep learning from Dhoni
While no two captains are the same, Kohli's coach Rajkumar Sharma feels his ward is more in the Sourav Ganguly mould.By Baidurjo Bhose | Mail Today – Fri 12 Jul, 2013 9:16 AM IST
- AUS won by 218 runsvs. ENGAUS2nd TestThu, Dec 05, 2013Adelaide, AustraliaThe Ashes 2013-14...
- PAK won by 6 wkts.vs. PAKAFGOne-off T20ISun, Dec 08, 2013Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesAfghanistan vs Pakistan T2...
- SA won by 134 runsvs. INDSA2nd ODISun, Dec 08, 2013Durban, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- No live matches are in progress.
- Upcoming matchvs. WINZ2nd TestTue, Dec 10, 2013Wellington, New ZealandWest Indies in New Zealand...
- Upcoming matchvs. INDSA3rd ODIWed, Dec 11, 2013Centurion, South AfricaIndia in South Africa ODI ...
- Upcoming matchvs. SLPAK1st T20IWed, Dec 11, 2013Dubai, United Arab EmiratesPakistan vs Sri Lanka T20 ...
1 - 4 of 20